Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Walking Tour of Bangkok

     Yesterday, my cousin Joop took the day off work in order to take me on a walking tour of Bangkok.  We had planned to go very early in the day, but 1 PM was the starting time.  I was wearing a dress that went past the knee and had brought a pair of leggings that I put on just for entering Wat Phra Kaew Temple, but the doorman looked at me and said no!  Joop and I walked around the corner where we picked out a random outfit that he bought me to wear to go into the temple.  I looked like such a tourist!  I did not enjoy it, but what are you going to do?  I am grateful that I look somewhat Thai.  Thai people enter the temple for free while foreigners pay 400 baht which is about $13.50 U.S.  It also helped that the doorman did not speak to me.  If I had talked I would have definitely had to pay.  My cousin Joop spoke to them and so we entered in right away for free.  Everything here is so cheap and accommodating for Thai people, but they definitely mark everything up for foreigners.  Wat Phra Kaew is the most sacred Buddhist temple in all of Thailand and is home to the Emerald Buddha.











 We were not allowed to enter this room yesterday due to a planned event, but I was able to see the Emerald Buddha from afar.









 Beautiful paintings inside the temple.  That is real gold!







 Everything was so beautiful!




     Wat Phra Kaew is part of the Grand Palace.  This palace housed kings of Thailand for over 200 years, but the current King of Thailand does not reside there anymore.  Special events still occur, but no royalty lives here.  What a place to live!


A gold throne inside the Grand Palace that the kings would sit on.  No photos were allowed!  I took a sneak picture like I did with Mona Lisa. ;-)








 A palace guard.  








 Phra Sumen Fort.



 Bought a belt and turned my temple skirt into a dress to go to the world famous "Backpacker's Ghetto" Khao San Rd.

 Beautiful sun at Suan Luang Rama IX Park.  

Silapakorn University

 Exhausted on the taxi boat on Chao Phraya River.


Beautiful lighted temple on the boat ride home.


     It was such a nice day seeing everything on foot and then boat.  We walked so much, lots of exercise.  Big thanks to my cousin for showing me around!  Today is my day of rest.  House all day so I can get over this cough/cold!

"Peace begins with a smile." -Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment