Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ayutthaya/Elephants

     Yesterday we went to Ayutthaya province.  The city was founded in 1350 by King U Thong.  Prior to being destroyed by the Burmese Army, it was one of the largest cities in the world in terms of population.  The Burmese Army came in and destroyed the city in 1767 causing the entire kingdom to collapse.  

     Ayutthaya is beautiful.  It is surrounded be rice fields and lush greenery.  As a Social Science Major, History Minor, I honestly live for this stuff.  Seeing old ruins of once great kingdoms is really a huge highlight for me as I travel.  Ayutthaya has several ruins of the former capital of the Kingdom of Siam.  The old run down brick temples and buildings are definitely something to see.















When the Burmese Army invaded, they chopped of all the heads of the stone Buddhas.  

This was the only head left intact inside this temple.


This Buddha outside survived the attack as well.

ELEPHANTS!

     This was such an experience.  When I came to Thailand ten years ago, my mom and my brother road elephants, but I was just too afraid.  Ever since then I swore that when I came back to Thailand I would have to conquer my fear and ride the elephants.  My hands were definitely glued to the handles as I was riding, let me tell you!  Unfortunately I do have very mixed feelings about this place as a whole.  While I loved seeing the elephants perform and riding one, I do have a hard time with animals being held in captivity and forced to perform.  I guess people ride horses everyday and so I tried to tell myself this to not feel guilt...  I also saw a tool that each handler had that looked a bit sharp to poke the elephants.  I am going to assume that I am just ignorant and that the elephants have tough skin and the tool wasn't very sharp.  Let us hope!  :-/










Riding an elephant with my cousin.





The elephant handing a tip up to our "driver".













A video of the elephants dancing.  So adorable!





Very talented elephants.



Bowing in respect like Thai people do, "Sawadee Ka".









People in traditional Thai outfits.

 Thai Tea picture ;-)  In a nifty carrier.

Back to more temples and ruins!!!























The 9 Ramas.





Placing gold flakes in honor of Buddha and famous monks.


Mai pouring oil for the day she was born on.

King Naresuan was obsessed with roosters.



Closest you'll ever see me to a chicken, deathly afraid of them.



Turtles!













Thai style, gold!

Checking out some beautiful flowers at an organic farm.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality". -Desmond Tutu

No comments:

Post a Comment