Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Hello from Morocco! Tangier, Rabat, Casablanca

     I have always had a thing for bodies of water.  I grew up in South Lake Tahoe swimming in Fallen Leaf Lake and have always loved the ocean.  At one point in my life, marine biologist was on the list as a major.  Sailing the Straight of Gibraltar is just something I really wanted to do and so I purchased a ferry ticket from Gibraltar to Tangier.  Unfortunately I would run into many issues doing this.

     Typically people take the ferry from Tarifa, Spain to Tangier because it is the shortest route.  Although many people told me that the ferry only sailed once a week from Gibraltar, I trusted the online company selling me the ticket.  When I arrived at the port, the ferry was very late.  Once the ferry arrived, I was told there was no ferry from Gibraltar to Tangier that night, it was just people arriving from Morocco to Gibraltar.  I showed them my booking information and the Captain told me that they sell these tickets on the wrong day frequently and he apologized.  He said I could go with them, but they have to stop in Algeciras, Spain for 3 hours.  It was late at night, I couldn't think of a better solution so I went.  I was incredibly afraid seeing as I was arriving in Morocco, a super foreign country to me at the very early hours of the morning.  Fortunately I made friends with Amid who worked for passport control on the ferry.  He treated me very well, riding with me on the bus from port to terminal and then putting me in a taxi in which he negotiated the price for half the cost of what it was suppose to be.  I would have been freaking out if it wasn't for him.  Luckily, I arrived safely at my hotel at 2 AM after a very crazy ride.


The Straight of Gibraltar at sunset.

     I stayed in Tangier for 2 nights only having really one full day there.  Met some really nice people and walked around the city.  Unfortunately I must admit that I don't feel comfortable walking around Morocco alone.  Some of the men stare at you and frequently make obscene gestures.  I knew I was in a Muslim nation and made sure to cover up as much as possible without burning to death and they still made inappropriate approaches.  I did enjoy walking around and seeing a new way of living though.  Almost everything was closed because of Ramadan, everyone is fasting in the daytime.  People were sleeping in the parks just to pass the time and not think about eating and drinking.  I don't understand how they do it in the scorching heat of the summer, I am really impressed.













 Olives

 Tajine
















 Best tea I have ever had, Moroccan mint.


     I arrived in Rabat, the capital of Morocco on July 30 in the afternoon.  I was picked up by Adil who took me to my hotel to drop off my things and then we went on a market trip.  He had planned a dinner for Ramadan and was kind enough to invite me to come along.  It was great wandering around and seeing how the markets operated.  I met many of his friends and family for dinner after the sun went down and afterwards we all went to the beach to hang out in the evening.  It was really great making so many new friends in Rabat!  The next day Adil picked me up and we went to the ruins of Chellah.  It was very beautiful and very cool.











Ramadan feast









 Chellah


























     I arrived in Casablanca on July 31, 2013.  I was told that there was not much to do there because it is just the economic capital of the country.  I couldn't pass up going to Casablanca though because I am a huge fan of the movie.  I know none of it was actually filmed in Morocco at all, but whatever... I did it!  I also went to see Hassan II which is the largest mosque in Morocco.  




























"A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people".  -Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment