Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hello from Gibraltar!

     I took a bus from Seville to La Línea de Concepion on July 26, 2013.  This is the city of Spain that borders Gibraltar.  Reading information on the internet told me that Gibraltar is very expensive and so it is better to stay in La Línea instead.  I booked a private tour because that is all that was offered and went into Gibraltar on July 27.

     I was picked up by Eddie, a Gibraltarian born and raised.  He took me around Gibraltar telling me the history of the Commonwealth, how it became, the relationship between the UK and Spain because of Gibraltar and so much more information.  We went on top of the rock and saw the Barbary Macaques (monkeys).  It is unknown how these African monkeys got here, but people believe that some sailors brought them over.  It was nice having your own personal guide for a couple hours.  I definitely feel like I saw all that Gibraltar had to offer.  A dream come true to see the Rock of Gibraltar and to be on the Straight of Gibraltar!










Pillars of Hercules

Men used to pull things up the rock using rope.















St. Michael's Cave






















     Following the tour, I went and had some breakfast.  Lucky for me, they had a place that had the traditional English breakfast.  As fattening as it is, it really is good!  Didn't realize I had missed it since being in the UK.  After this I went on a boat in search for dolphins.  We were able to see many of them in the Straight!  It was really beautiful to have Gibraltar behind me, Africa in front of me and a bunch of dolphins swimming by.  Such a wonderful day!





























     After this, I wandered around town for a bit and stumbled upon a glass blowing exhibition which was very interesting.  Apparently this is the only thing that is manufactured in Gibraltar.  A random interesting fact about Gibraltar is that it is so small that the main road is also the airport runway.  Whenever there is a plane flying in, the road is closed and everyone has to wait until it lands to drive or walk over it.  I was able to see this system as I was leaving Gibraltar to go back into Spain for the night.

















     The following day, I prepared myself for the ferry crossing to Morocco.  I went into Gibraltar, did some laundry and wandered around.  I was desperate to do some laundry!  I really love Gibraltar.  It is clean and has beautiful views.  Also, starting last year, they became provisional members of UEFA and it would be great to see the team and country build in football!

Queensway Quay


"Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself - and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to - letting a person be what he really is". -Jim Morrison

No comments:

Post a Comment