Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hello from Portugal! Porto

     I arrived in Porto on July 10, 2013 in the morning.  I met up with a friend, Rui, who was kind enough to meet me in the middle of work in order to drop my bags off.  He then told me what was the best places to see in Porto and I went on my way.  It did not take long for me to fall madly in love with this place.  Porto is a city, but it feels like a village.  It is old and beautiful, right by the river and the ocean.  I think this the first place where it really hit me, I could live here!  It is just a magical place and as I write this from Lisbon, I am already dying to go back.



 So beautiful!



 Market







 I am not big on sweets, but Porto desserts are absolutely amazing!




































































 Crystal Palace










 Portuguese men playing cards in the park.





















     Later in the evening, I met up with Rui and we went to have dinner.  I tried Francesinha, which is a traditional dish of Porto.  I think this is the most fattening food I have ever eaten.  It is just layers of bread, meat and cheese.  It was alright, but I think one of those meals I will only have once in my life.  Later on in the evening, I went with Rui and his friends and enjoyed a drink by the river.  Porto is very beautiful in the day and night.  Amazing place!

  Francesinha

     The following day, I was picked up by my friend Zé Pedro.  He and I had a wonderful non tourist day.  He packed us a fruit picnic and took me to a nice park with a little lake.  We had an amazing time just relaxing and catching some sun.  He also packed a little bottle of Port wine for me to try.  This is very famous in Porto.  The time got away from us, we stayed out there a bit too long and both got a few shades darker.  It was getting to be too hot and so we left.  We went to a beach not very crowded with people and relaxed a bit more.  We both attempted to jump into the Atlantic Ocean, but it was just too cold.  It was a great day full of nature, relaxation and conversation.






     The following morning I had planned to leave for Lisbon and Zé Pedro happened to have plans to go there as well to visit with family.  We took the train together which took about 2 and a half hours.  It was very sad to leave Porto.  I had such an amazing time there and fell in love with the city all together.  An incredible, unforgettable few days.  Porto, you are in my heart and someday I will return!



"The purpose of our lives is to be happy". -Dali Lama 

No comments:

Post a Comment