Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Barcelona

     I arrived in Barcelona late at night on July 3, 2013.  After getting settled in my room, I went to see the Arch del Triomf and had a walk along the beach.  Unfortunately it was quite dark and I was unable to get any decent pictures of either one.  The arch was beautiful though!  The following day, I went out in the evening and strolled around La Rambla, the main street in Barcelona.  I absolutely love tapas and am eating them every chance I get!








Columbus Monument













     The following day, I took another free walking tour.  They are my favorite thing to do because it takes the work load off me for a little bit.  I had a really nice tour guide that showed us the Gothic Quarter of Barcelona.  The Catalan history is so amazing and after being in Madrid, I definitely see the differences in their cultures in some ways.  Catalonia has gone through quite a bit and it is great to see what it has become today.




Palace







Executioners home



























Picasso Sketch





Second largest rose window behind the Notre Dame.

Pinocchio!

Jewish Quarter

Synagogue








     This is Plaza de Sant Felip Neri which is quite the hidden gem in Barcelona.  My tour guide had just stumbled upon it herself not too long prior.  The walls show a lot of history.  Bombs went off here that killed several people in January 30th, 1938 during the war.  It is the second worse bombing of the Spanish Civl War.  There is a plaque dedicated to the victims of Fascists regimes.  


























Over a million people came here last year in support of Catalonia separating from Spain.













     My friend Barry happened to be coming to Barcelona at the same time and so he joined me to see Camp Nou, FC Barcelona's stadium on July 6th.  It was absolutely amazing to be here.  I loved it so much!  FC Barcelona is definitely my favorite team behind Manchester United.  Messi and Iniesta are just amazing!  It is my goal to get back here one day for a football match!

















 Messi's European Golden Shoes

Messi's Ballon d'Ors







 Stadium Chapel
















 Lucky Shakira!


 Views from the Stadium


     Barcelona is the only place that I feel really disappointed in myself in terms of planning.  I was just so exhausted and unfortunately did not make the effort to see all of Guadi's work in this city.  From what several different friends tell me, Guadi's work is what makes Barcelona.  Oh well...  You can't get down on yourself, it is impossible to see it all and it gives you an excuse to come back.  I'll be back here one day for football and Guadi!

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning". -Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment