Saturday, April 27, 2013

Manchester United

     On April 21, 2013, I arrived in Manchester, England.  I had mistakenly booked a hotel in Stockport, the town over because it was cheap.  I took a taxi from the coach station to the hotel, decided that I needed to rest and so remained there for the rest of the evening.  Always being on the move, carrying heavy luggage and what not gets so exhausting and when you have been at it for as long as I have, it is nice to take an evening to just lounge around.  

     The following morning April 22, 2013, I also took it easy and left around noon for my day of football!  First I took the train from Stockport to Manchester and then got a taxi that drove me to see Etihad Stadium which is where Manchester City plays.  That is the second stadium I have seen while in England.




     Afterwards, I took the taxi to the National Football Museum.  Talk about amazing!  If you love football, you need to be here at some point in your life.  It was very well set up and had so much information.  It covered the game at its early stages, memorable players and goals, a trophy room and so much more.  I can't really put into words how much I love football.  I fell in love with this sport years ago after being introduced to it by my best friend and her father from Ghana.  I didn't even initially fall in love with the game itself, it was the World Cup and how this event, like the Olympics brought the whole world together.  That just blew my mind and from that moment I wanted to know everything I could about football, game, history and all, be loyal to a team and experience its culture.  I must admit though, I did not wear my Manchester United gear to see Manchester City's stadium.  I changed my clothes once I felt safe in the National Football Museum!  HAHA!  They had the Barclays Premier League Cup there and so I paid a small fee to take a picture with it.  How even more exciting this would be later...

 Typical English brick buildings.


 I love Beckham!









 Fergie talking about sponsorships in football.



 So amazing!

Manchester

     After a couple of hours at the museum, I went to see my team, Manchester United!  I got there about 5 hours prior to kick off and there was already a good amount of people there.  It was surreal finally being at Old Trafford after loving this team for so many years now.  I walked around for a bit, picked up my ticket and went to the mega store to pick up a scarf and gloves because it was freezing!  There was just way too much time to kill so I quickly popped over to the Imperial War Museum North for a while.  What another amazing museum!  I am incredibly impressed with England's museums, most are free and spectacular.  This museum covered from the Great War (World War I) to present day.




 Imperial War Museum North








     It was finally time to see the game and it was brilliant!  Van Persie scored in the first few minutes and the result would be him performing a hat trick, 3-0 against Aston Villa to win the Premier League!  Manchester United are 20x Champions!  How lucky is it that your first Premier League game and you get to see your favorite team at their home stadium winning the Premier League?  Pretty damn lucky!  Amazing night!







 Not an empty seat in the house.

Stadium food in England, meat pies and tea.

 The boys celebrating their win.


     The following morning on April 23, 2013, I packed up all my gear and went back to the "Theater of Dreams" Old Trafford.  I had booked a ticket to see the museum and go on a stadium tour.  It was absolutely brilliant!  They took us all over the stadium.  I went inside the dressing room, players lounge, sat where the players sit during the games and so much more.  It was only 8 quid for this amazing experience!  I'll never forget these two amazing days in my life!  Glory Glory Man United!









 Trophies, trophies and more trophies!

 The class of 1992!







 Player's lounge, this is where David and Victoria Beckham met.

 Player's dressing room.



 Where the player's come out at the beginning of the game.


 Feeling the pitch between my fingers.

 Where the player's sit during a match.


Beautiful!

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courge to pursue them".   -Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment