Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hello from Switzerland! Lucerne/Zurich

     I arrived in Bern, Switzerland on June 22, 2013 in the evening.  It was wonderful to see my friend Cherine again!  She picked me up from the train station and we went to her house and caught up on our lives since leaving Vietnam.  I just love the beauty of travel.  Meet in one part of the world and then see each other in another.

     The following morning, I left for Lucerne by myself.  Cherine had some appointments she wasn't able to cancel.  It is an absolutely beautiful place!  The lake is really amazing.  Switzerland as a whole is just so clean and you just feel like you are breathing the purest air in the world.  I had a wonderful time wandering around.  The Lion of Lucerne is a a breathtaking monument.  My friend Sheila had told me about it months ago and it was so great to be able to see it.  If you go to Switzerland, go to Lucerne!  Even in the rain, which to be honest I am biased, I love rain, it is beautiful!




 Train ride to Lucerne

Lucerne Train Station

























 Lake Lucerne











 I stood in at a Swiss German Church service for a little bit and it was lovely.











 Lion of Lucerne









 Chapel Bridge
Baroque style church
































     After I visited Lucerne, I took a train to Zurich which is about 30 minutes away.  Zurich is also a beautiful place, but I am partial to Lucerne.  I walked around the city and had some dinner.  Switzerland is the most expensive place I have been to so far.  It is insane how much everything costs.  1 Swiss Franc is equal to 1.05 USD.  The values are similar as you can see.  I went into Starbucks in Lucerne and a tall frappuccino was 7.50 Swiss Francs.  Absolutely outrageous markup. I had dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Zurich and it was 18.50 Swiss Francs for sweet and sour chicken and fried rice.





 Lake Zurich














 Public water fountain for filling up your bottles.


$18.50!!!

I fell in love with Switzerland on this day!

"Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises". 
-Pedro Calderon de la Barca

No comments:

Post a Comment