Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hello from Hungary! Budapest

     I arrived in Budapest on May 28th, 2013 and was picked up by my friend Krisztina at the airport.  After dropping off my luggage at her flat, we stopped at her friends store which was filled with all kinds of Hungarian treats.  Even though the store was closed, they were kind enough to let us buy stuff.  We bought breads, salami, goat cheese with red onion, a special cream cheese, cucumber and strawberries from Hungary.  All of the food was absolutely delicious!  I went back the following day to pick up some more salami and to see the store full of food rather than at closing.  Check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Anagymamahaziboltja









     Afterwards Krisztina and I went to pick up another friend, Suemin at the bus station.  Her bus was delayed and so Krisztina and I took the tram to see some of Budapest at night.  We went by the river and had an amazing view.  It was absolutely beautiful!  The old buildings lit up at night are something to see!  The National Theatre Museum is gorgeous, built as if it is on a ship.


 Very old trains used as the underground metro from Russia.

 National Theatre








Buda Castle

     The following day on May 29, Suemin and I left Krysztina's house to explore the city.  Luckily we had a map Krysztina had labeled for us.  Always nice to have a local on your side when you don't know the language!  I immediately noticed how no one payed for public transportation in this country, so we got around everywhere for free.  

Free transportation!

 Heroes' Square






 Art Gallery




 Hungarian dish- Potato, paprika and sausage.



 Parliament





 Chain Bridge

Citadel

 Entrance to Buda Castle.



 Staying here with the girls.

Krisztina, the most amazing artist!  Check out her Facebook:

My lovely hostess and friend!

     Later that night Krisztina took Suemin and I to see a view of the entire city.  It was absolutely beautiful!  On top of Fisherman's Bastion, I met a Hungarian Cowboy sitting and playing both the guitar and harmonica and so Krisztina asked him if we could sing together for me.  He and I sang Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash and it was great.  Singing Cash with a Hungarian with the most beautiful view in front of us...priceless!  After this we went to a cute little pub where I met a lot of great Hungarian people.  We had such a fun night with some unforgettable memories.

     Everywhere I go, I try really hard to pick up some words of the local language.  Languages are absolutely amazing and the locals really love you for putting in the effort to speak to them in their native tongue.  Krisztina taught me a lot of great words, but my favorite one is definitely "cuki" which means cute in Hungarian.



 A little ice cream gazebo on top of an amazing view.



 Parliament 


 Hungarian Cowboy



 St. Stephen's Basilica


 Langos

 Buda Castle

     My last night in Budapest was May 31, 2013.  I spent time with friends and then headed out to see more of the city at night.  Dani and I had a fun night out and it was a great way to leave this place.  I already miss all my new friends in all of the places I have been too.  This by far is the hardest part about traveling as you have seen my emotion in many of my posts.  I've really connected with a lot of people and as I leave each city, it is hard because you wonder when you will be able to see them again.  My journey continues and I hope my path crosses with many of you again in the future!   

Dani and I at Krisztina's apartment.

     Now it is June 1 and I am in Vienna, Austria after a 3 hour bus ride and can't wait to explore the city tomorrow!  Everyone tells me it is amazing.  I was in Austria years ago with some of my really close friends and Mr. Hallen, one of the best teachers I ever had who unfortunately passed away from cancer.  We went to Hallstatt and Salzburg and I was absolutely in love with Austria.  Mr. Hallen, I just want to thank you again for opening my eyes to the beauty of Europe.  I will never forget you and you are in my thoughts as I travel!  

"We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and
 untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey". -John Hope Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment