Sunday, May 12, 2013

Scottish Highlands/Isle of Skye

     Everyone told me that if I was in Scotland, I had to go to the Highlands.  I booked a tour with a company called Rabbie's just a few days prior and left Edinburgh for the Isle of Skye on May 7, 2013.  My tour guide Jamie told us that many people never make it up to the Highlands, including Scots that live in Edinburgh and Glasgow.  That was really shocking seeing as it is beautiful, close by and well worth it.

     Our first stop on the way to Isle of Skype was Stirling Castle.  It was surreal for me to be at all the places in which William Wallace  fought for Scottish freedom.  I mean who doesn't love the movie Braveheart with Mel Gibson?  Totally an American favorite!  Stirling Castle is very important during the Wars of Independence and The Wallace Monument sits outside.

     As I said in the previous post, Scottish weather is really unpredictable.  Lucky for me, I left for this trip on the sunniest/warmest day of the year so far.  It was about 18 degrees Celsius, 64.4 degrees Fahrenheit.  What a beautiful day!


Stirling Castle













Portree, Isle of Skye


The Old Man of Storr 





Quiraing







Old style Scottish homes


 Loch Portree




 Loch Duich

 Eilean Donan Castle





Unfortunately no sightings of Nessie!

     I returned back to Edinburgh after this trip and decided it was time to finally make a move to my next destination.  I was there for two more nights and left for Belfast on May 12, 2013.  Sometimes in life, you are really lucky and meet people that you just connect with.  You become instant friends and share so many laughs and memories that will always stay with you.  Thanks boys for a wonderful two weeks!  You will be missed and I look forward to when we see each other again.       




"In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed". -Khalil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment