Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hello from Northern Ireland! Belfast

     I arrived in Belfast, Northern Ireland on May 11, 2013 around noon.  The weather was sunny, warm, and looked very promising.  Unfortunately, very similar to Scottish weather... CRAZY!  I met up with a friend, Matt who made sure I had a pint of Guinness to welcome me to the country.  Of course I watched more football.  The FA Cup, Manchester City vs. Wigan where Wigan won 1-0.

     The following day, Matt took me to a restaurant that had the traditional Irish breakfast called a "fry".  Lets just say the Irish do not eat very healthy... HAHA!  My plate came with three different kinds of breads, sausage, bacon, hash brown, fried egg and mushrooms...  I was also advised to put sugar on the soda bread...  Definitely not something to eat every day...  Maybe only once a year actually!  Afterwards, Matt took me around to all the historical sites of Belfast.  There really isn't much in this city, but the historical aspect of it and seeing how the city is literally divided between the Protestants and the Catholics is more than worth it.


 Where the show Game of Thrones is filmed.

 Where the Titanic was built.


 C.S. Lewis was from Belfast.


     Belfast is very famous for it's murals.  These murals are all depicting the countries's past and present political and religious divisions.  Some of the artwork was very beautiful.  Matt showed me which parts of town were Catholic and which ones were Protestant.  It was very clear in some areas based on the flags flown and the painted sidewalks.






 Catholic neighborhood

 Protestant neighborhood

 Peace wall between a Catholic and Protestant neighborhood.

 Catholic murals




Protestant neighborhood

 Belfast skyline


Guinness and black currant is amazing!

     Belfast certainly has a lot of recent history because it is in a relatively new country with a lot of conflict.  I really enjoyed my time here and highly recommend a stop to check it all out.  Currently in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.  Beautiful train ride from Belfast to Dublin.  We will see how everything goes here!

"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success". -Napolean Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment