Saturday, January 26, 2013

Suphan Buri

     Today I went to Suphan Buri, the place where my mom and her 8 brothers and sisters grew up.  It is about an hour and a half from Bangkok.  Suphan means "gold" and Buri means "city".  I went with two of my uncles, one aunt and my cousin.  It was a great experience seeing where my mom, aunts and uncles grew up.  




 The property where my mom and her siblings grew up at.

 My cousin, my aunt (the oldest in the family), me and my uncle (the second oldest in the family).

 My uncle showing us part of the property he owns in Suphan Buri.



 My grandparents used to have rice paddy fields here.


 Beautiful Thai countryside.

My aunt decided to surprise distant relatives that she hadn't seen for almost 30 years.


 In front of a crematorium at a temple.

 Headstones at a cemetery.



 My grandmother's headstone.


 Some beautiful parts of Thailand.

Random Fun Facts:
1) Former Prime Minister of Thailand, Thaksin Shinawatra, used to own Manchester City Football Club.
2) The current King of Thailand was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

     Miss all of you back in the States, but I am having such a great time!  Can't believe on Sunday it will have been 2 weeks since I have left.  It feels like yesterday honestly.  Time really does fly.  I love being in a new place with absolutely no worries or cares.  I just wake up each morning with no obligations knowing there is so much to discover.  ONWARD!  xo

"One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more." -Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment