Sunday, March 2, 2014

Keep Calm and Go to London

     I flew from Porto to London on February 10th where I was picked up by my friend Robyn.  We met on a sail boat in Australia, became really good friends and traveled almost a month and a half together.  We have a lot of great memories in both Australia and New Zealand.  She brought me back to her parent's home in Steeple Claydon where she is currently staying after her travels.  The English countryside is so beautiful and it is always so nice to be out of a city.  I would love to live in a place with rolling green hills all around me like certain parts of England.  



     On the 11th while Robyn tended to some work,  I took a train into the city to meet up with my friend Dani in London.  We met in Budapest last year through a mutual friend and have kept in touch very well.   Dani and I saw so much of London in just one day.  He took me to Brick Lane and introduced me to the works of Banksy, a famous graffiti artist.  We went to Trafalgar Square and saw Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh in the National Museum.  Dani was most excited about taking me to the M&M's Museum.  It's a crazy place filled with all things M&M's and really fun to have a walk through.  We had such a lovely day wandering around and catching up.  London is a special place.
























     Robyn picked me up at the train station later that night and I had a really great dinner with her and her family in a very traditional English pub.  Bangers and Mash is probably my favorite dish and I tend to eat it quite a bit when I am in the UK.  The Norths are fantastic company and I thank all of them for everything!

     Robyn's father got us a free hotel in London and we headed that way in the afternoon on the 12th.  We went there in high hopes of getting some tickets to the Fulham vs Liverpool match.  Before the match we met up with Robyn's brother and a friend at the away team bar.  Liverpool fans are truly phenomenal.  Unfortunately, we couldn't get in because it was sold out, but Robyn put in the best effort I ever saw.  She asked at least 10 people trying to convince them that I flew all the way from the States to go to this game and if there was anything they could do to make my dreams come true.  She did everything she could for my love of football and I love her for it.  The experience of trying to get tickets from scalpers and her sweet talking the staff was well worth the effort.














     The 13th, we went to Borough Market and bought tons of food.  It is one of the oldest outdoor food markets in London.  We bought cheese, prosciutto, turkish delight, bread, bratwurst and so much more. Amazing food with no shame scarfing it all down.  Food, Food, Food!  









     Later in the evening, Robyn took me to the Old Vic Theater to see a play.  We saw Fortune's Fool which was very clever.  The stage was intricate and beautiful.  Very nice evening!  Thank you Robyn for taking me to the theater in London!  It's one of those Travel Bucket List items and I am happy to say I have now been to two productions in London.








     I do have to mention a really sad thing that happened after the theater.  When we went to take the train, they were all delayed because someone had jumped in front of one.  I lost my breath and it took a lot for me to not break down in the middle of the train station.  It was even worse to find out that this occurs pretty regularly in London.  Everyone was so irritated that the trains weren't going rather than taking a moment to realize what just happened.  It's so important to always value the significance of a human life, every single human life.  Make everyone in your life feel special so that these instances occur less.  Life is a gift!

     The 14th was our last day together and in true Robyn and Michelle fashion, we went to a pub and ate before our goodbyes.  Robyn, I can't say it enough!  Thanks for all the fun times, laughs, talks and everything in between.  Until next time!

"Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact". -William James

No comments:

Post a Comment