Saturday, March 15, 2014

Bristol with the Hughes

     On February 14, 2014, I left London to head to Bath.  When I was in England last year, I went to Bath and thought it was such a beautiful place rich in Roman and English history.  My plan was to stay with my friend Matt in Bristol, but he was just arriving back in England after 5 months of travel and I wanted to give him some time with his family before I arrived.  Bath is very close to Bristol and so I chose to go back there.  I spent the night in a hostel and wandered around town in the rain.

 YHA hostel






     Matt and I met on Fraser Island in Australia last year and became great friends.  Lucky for me, he was coming back from Thailand when I was going to be in England and he welcomed me to Bristol straight away.  The Hughes family are such wonderful people!  The second I walked in the door, it was all football all the time.  Matt, his brother Nathan, their father and I watched a lot of matches in the living room and there is no better way to watch football than with English lads that have grown up with it.  You learn a lot more whilst watching with them.  Matt's mother and his sister Shannon were nowhere in site, watching TV in another room when the games were on.  I guess I really am just that rare American woman that loves football...

 Matt and I

Night out in Bristol with the Hughes brothers.

     Over the next couple of days, we just kind of took it easy.  We spent time with Matt's family and friends, watched some Olympics in Sochi, watched football and hung out.  It was a really fun experience because Matt had just returned home and everyone was really excited to see him and hear his travel stories.  I think the most excited person was his adorable nephew Logan.  


     Matt took me to a betting center to place my first bet ever on a football match.  I bet 2 quid that Steven Gerard would score the first goal, banking on a penalty, but it wasn't mean't to be.  He was the first to score for Liverpool, but not the first scorer of the game.  I didn't win anything, but it was an exciting experience nonetheless.

Betting sheet

     On Monday February 17th, Matt took me around Bristol to see all the sights.  It was raining most of the time unfortunately, but there were many beautiful places to see.  The free museum was also great!  I have never had a Sunday Roast while in the UK and Matt's mother was kind enough to make us dinner so that I could experience this part of English tradition.  We had grabbed a quick dinner the night before and so Sunday Roast was on a Monday.  Yorkshire pudding is delicious! 

 Bristol City F.C. Stadium


 Clifton Suspension Bridge

 Matt and his whip


 Beautiful property!









 Bristol University straight ahead.

 Original Banksy graffiti


 Bristol Cathedral


 Inside Bristol Museum and Art Gallery



 The most beautiful train station ever.

 Matt and his wonderful parents!

The lovely chef on the left.

     I feel so lucky to have met such amazing people on my travels that remain close friends.  Matt, you are one of a kind and I thank you very much for welcoming me into your home and introducing me to your lovely family.  Hughes family, thank you so much for everything!  It was such a pleasure to get to know all of you and spend time with you!  This glass that you gave me is very special!  A million thank you's!


"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life". -Charles Darwin

No comments:

Post a Comment