Monday, November 18, 2013

Hello from New Zealand! Christchurch

     On October 25th, I flew from Sydney to Christchurch, New Zealand.  Christchurch does not have much in terms of entertainment for tourists, but it is worth a visit.  I needed to see the devastation that happened there, I felt it was very important.

     When I arrived at my lodge around 2 AM, I met Keith, an Irishman working in New Zealand.  Such a wonderful person and we got along right away.  I stayed up chatting with him for hours because I was still on Sydney time.

     The following day, Keith and I walked around Christchurch.  It was so kind of him to offer to show me around.  Christchurch had 2 major earthquakes, one in 2010 and the other in 2011.  The city is just destroyed and the signs of the earthquake are very apparent.  I saw many collapsed buildings and fenced off areas.  It wasn't clear which restaurants were in service or just an empty building from a distance.  Seeing all of it was a real eye opener.

 Container Mall












 Cathedral

 Cardboard Cathedral



 In remembrance of those who have died.



 All shut down.



 Cricket 



 Net ball

 Jailhouse Hostel



Keith and I

     The first earthquake in 2010 did not do much damage because it was in the middle of the night where people were safe in their homes.  The following earthquake in 2011 was the devastating one as it happened in the middle of the day when people were working and walking around.  There was a total of 185 lives lost.  Glad is not the correct word to use, but it was something I needed to witness.  Although the center of Christchurch feels like a ghost town, they are building their way back and I wish them luck.  This city is in my thoughts.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it". -Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment