Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Franz Josef

     Robyn and I arrived in Franz Josef on November 1, 2013.  It is a small transit town where people primarily stop in order to view the Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier which is a town just south.  We drove along the west coast to get there.



     On November 2nd, Robyn and I took a helicopter ride to view both of the glaciers.  We had paid to only view Franz Josef and land on top to take pictures for 20 minutes, but we lucked out and they bunched us with a group doing a 30 minutes ride which included both glaciers.  

     We flew above the rainforest and the second I saw Franz Josef Glacier, the tears would not stop running down my eyes.  I have been all over this world and have seen beautiful landscapes, but there is nothing like seeing a glacier.  Breathtaking!  I was so deeply moved.  This world... so beautiful.













     It was a bit windy up there and we definitely had a bit of turbulence.  Poor Robyn was scared to death.  The pilot decided that it was better to land on Fox Glacier due to the conditions.  Standing on top of a glacier...  No words...  Just snow all around you, rainforest in front and the most amazing piece of ice you ever saw.
















     In the evening, we went to the Maori Cultural Experience.  The group is called Puawai and they are Tangata Whenua people.  I absolutely loved it!  The group started the show with a prayer and I was instantly moved.  Yes, I cried a little again...  I am such a cultural junky.  There is nothing I love more than experiencing other cultures.  Cultures is the primary reason I travel.  Meeting the wonderful people of this planet, sharing my world to them and having their world shared to me.  

     All of their dances and songs were so moving.  As you sit and watch them, you feel special, as if you are being allowed into this world that not all others get to see.  They also pulled us from the audience to learn a dance with them.  Robyn and I had a lot of fun giving it a go.  If you go to Franz Josef, you must see them!  Their website is http://www.maoriculturalcentre.co.nz/










     After the show, Robyn and I headed to the Glacier Pools and sat in 36º water for 2 hours within the rainforest.  Such a relaxing night.  The pools are beautiful at night because they are lit up.  The rain started to come down a little and it was very nice.




I love Franz Josef!

"He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature". -Socrates

No comments:

Post a Comment