Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cairns

     On September 30, 2013, Katie and I took a flight from Sydney to Cairns in the Northwestern state of Queensland.  Australia is so much bigger than we ever expected.  This flight was over 3 hours.  I knew I definitely wasn't in Europe anymore.  The easy flights, metros, trains and so forth are long gone here.  During my time in this country so far, I definitely feel that Australia and the States are very similar to one another both in culture and in needing a car to get everywhere.

     On October 1, we took a tour to the Green Island.  We did some snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef.  Definitely a dream come true for both of us.  We also got on a glass bottom boat and saw the reef that way as well.  There was a little Crocodile Farm and were we able to watch a feeding and pet a small crocodile.  Beautiful sunny day!








































































































     The following morning, we were picked up to go on an Atherton Tablelands Tour.  This day was a dream come true as it focused on waterfalls.  We went to 3 different falls and went swimming.  I swam underneath a waterfall in the rainforest... pretty damn cool!  Beautiful scenery all day long.




























     On the 3rd, we went to Kuranda, a city in the rainforest via sky train.  It was such a cool experience to be riding in the sky above the rainforest.  When in town, we went to the Rainforest Station where we held a koala, saw an emu and petted a kangaroo.  Definitely fulfilled our Australian animal dreams.  We also took a ride in an army duck around the rainforest which was informative.









 Rainforest sky train














 Emu!








I love koalas! 








     I am Social Scientist, so culture is definitely a huge part of my travels.  Included in our rainforest experience was watching Aboriginal dance.  The performers also played the digeridoo.  We were even taught how to throw a boomerang.  Really great experience!  Following the performance we hopped in the train and rode back to Cairns.  It was a very long ride, but filled with a lot of great scenery.













     The 4th was a sad day as it was time for Katie to leave Australia.  So wonderful to have such a close friend come out to join in on one of my adventures.  We saw a lot, did a lot and had an amazing time. Love you Katie!

     The 5th will go in as one of the best days of my life.  I took a tour to the Outer Reef where I snorkeled in open water in the middle of sea.  I saw a lot of beautiful coral and fish all around me.  The highlight of it all was taking a helicopter ride.  The views of the Great Barrier Reef were insane!  The colors of the water, seeing turtles and sharks from the air, being in a helicopter for the first time... ALL AMAZING!!!  I flew over and swam in one of the wonders of the world!  Nemo would be proud!







































Glass bottom boat

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do, we swim, swim, swim". 
-Dori "Finding Nemo"

No comments:

Post a Comment